Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bye Bye Baghdad

As my departure from Baghdad approaches, I've been thinking about the past year. Here's what I will miss and what I will not miss about Baghdad.

What I won't miss:

Stepping outside and getting sandblasted by 115 degree wind and dirt
Iranian-made rockets
Action memos and 8-page cables

Baked fish and steamed vegetables
Personal Protective Equipment (aka kevlar vest & helmet)

Acronyms

T-walls


What I will miss:

Some incredible people
Flying in helicopters
Free all-you-can-eat ice cream
Girls night
Big guys with guns opening the door for me
The DFAC when it's decorated for holidays

2 comments:

Lee said...

Free all-you-can-eat ice cream? Would you do it all again?

Mom said...

I'm spending Sunday getting ready for you. What ice cream flavors? - I'll even get the Baskin Robbins.