Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How to Earn Hardship Pay

It's not the kind of thing I normally discuss in detail with friends and family, but it's a common conversation in undeveloped countries. It's inevitable, no matter how careful you are. To put it politely - food poisoning, South Asian style. A colleague recently experienced her first bout and we compared notes. Warning: the following is kinda gross.


I've had it twice in my first 6 months in Nepal. I've never been so sick in my life. A few things that make the South Asian version so special:


It's violent. Honestly, I expected to see my stomach fly out of my mouth.


Unlike normal food poisoning or the flu, I didn't feel better after throwing up. I still felt like crap.


It comes out both ends. My colleague calls it "dual action." Running to the bathroom, I had to pause to make a decision - which end to accommodate first? I ended up sitting on the toilet with the trash can between my knees.


My colleague has made a few lifestyle adjustments as a result of her first bout of South Asian food poisoning. She's learned to line her wicker wastepaper basket with a plastic bag. And she now keeps a hair rubber band within arm's reach of the toilet.


We definitely earned our hardship pay!

2 comments:

Lee said...

its the FS diet. Hope it was not the result of your visit here!

Mom said...

Brought back memories of a bad night Lisa had right here in Chatsworth!