Sunday, March 16, 2014

Works and Plays Well With Others

Is it already that time of year? No, not taxes. EER season. The annual exercise in futility whereby Foreign Service Officers attempt to describe why their existence matters in 44 lines. Tying your activities to the responsibilities listed in your work requirements can require certain written acrobatics. Then you have to make sure that you have demonstrated a range of precepts the State Department has identified as critical to success. Reflecting on whether or not you have made a difference in the past year is a humbling experience.

It makes me almost yearn for the report cards of my youth. It was easy to see where you excelled and where you didn't. Feedback was to the point. I wonder what would my second grade teacher would say  about my performance this year. 

5 comments:

Mom said...

As I recall, your second grade teacher's comment on your unspectacular handwriting skills was, "It really doesn't matter. She'll have a secretary."

Lee said...

I am going to do mine in iambic pentameter this year.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog but, I have to admit, your mom's comments are my favorite part:)

Heather said...

Anonymous, don't encourage her. ;)

Anonymous said...

I must concur. Good comment Mom!